>     Is there anybody out there with a laptop with kernel 2.6, XFree 3.3
> and a working Synaptics touchpad?

I couldn't get the synaptics driver to work at all with 3.3, and the
standard driver gave terrible response. So I bit the bullet and emerged
xfree 4.3.99-902-r1 and synaptics 0.12.1 and it works very well. You'll
need to read the synaptics docs to get the right settings for
XF86config, but it's fairly straightforward.

Cheers

Neil
--
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I
can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."