Collins Richey wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:34:34 -0600
TriKster Abacus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[ lots of stuff that we don't need to repeat snipped ]
TriKster,

The essential flaw in your "benchmarks" is this: all of these items are
single activities, whereas the changes in kernel 2.6 are not designed to
improve the operation of single activities, but rather to improve the
aggregate thruput of the system for l-o-t-s of activities,
i.e.

1) more robust scalibility for >4 processors
2) better response for interactive jobs (i.e. no job should starve
for service while a cpu hog is getting its cut off the top).

This means, inevitably, that certain of your loved ones (DVD ripping,
for example) may not be able to monopolize the CPU and thus may exhibit
extended run times.

Dude! OMG! are you not reading what the developers are saying about 2.6? They are saying that it has extreme performance gains for the "desktop" user. Not an 8 bazillion IBM, super Cray, super raid server setup!

(Above statement made by a complete lunatic.. please do not try this at home)

My desktop runs comparatively the same as it did when using a 2.4.X kernel.. both versions from what I have seen are setup for "max" performance.. and completely tweaked out to the max potential of each system's capabilities.

My complaint is that if in fact (as the developers themselves claim it to be) .. that 2.6.X is so much faster, why am I and others just the same as me not seeing these "super - Ninja" gains when switching/upgrading?

I mean.. ya you can pound and thrash me.. and advise me to go back to the 2.4.X kernel.. But I would have to respond with.. WHY? If 2.6.X is so great, why should I sit back and have to use 2.4.X, the same goes for other people as well.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.tinyminds.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=845

I mean.. that is directly from Mr. RML (love-sources) himself!

.. And he has quite a large paragraph speaking of the "desktop" qualities!

So you might not want to compare an prune (IBM and their super box) and an apple (mine and other's simple 1 cpu desktop system)..

Make sure when you start quoting the virtues of the 2.6.X kernel, that you are not in fact processing and passing on information about "server setups".. please look into "desktops" in the future.

(Oh. I am not angry.. as the above post might sound like.. just sticking up for the home team)

Anyhow..

Thank you

I respect your opinion and am happy for the replies

Sincerely,

--
TriKster Abacus
irc.freenode.net #cllug #gentoo #linuxfriends