Radu Filip wrote:

Hi, I am trying to install a Gentoo box from scratch and I cannot get over
a large package (kdebase):

[...]
./usr/share/pixmaps/kde2.xbm
./usr/share/pixmaps/splash2.png

Done.
extracting info
extracting kdebase-3.2.0

tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
!!! Error extracting /usr/portage/packages/All/kdebase-3.2.0.tbz2

This errors appeared on other large packages like xfree86 or kdelibs but after a number of retries it worked. On this one, however, I am stuck :-(

I suspect that the source package is defective. Delete (or rename) it in /usr/portage/distfiles, and
try again - emerge will then download it anew. If emerge gets it from CD, remove the CD as
a package source, at least for this package.

(If you find it more convenient, "emerge -f kdebase" will only fetch the source, you can then compile and
install it with "emerge kdebase" rsp. "emerge kde" later.)