Alex Efros wrote:

Hi!

I's anybody knows why Opera require Openmotif? I've used different
versions of Opera (including 7.23) a couple of years from 'opera*static*rpm'
without any (Open|Less|...)tiff installed (on my LFS-based distro which
I've used before hear about Gentoo).

That's strange... Opera does not have any dependencies according to
http://www.gentoo-portage.com/browse-program.php?program=3920

Gentoo uses the statically linked version of 7.23.

Second question: why 'emerge -pv' say I still need to download 9MB Opera source
AFTER I've downloaded and even merged Opera (and also Opera size is only about
4.5 MB, not 9.5):

The >9MB download size looks like a bug. On my system, emerge -s opera says

*  net-www/opera
     Latest version available: 7.23
     Latest version installed: 7.23
     Size of downloaded files: 14,147 kB
     Homepage:    http://www.opera.com/linux/
     License:     OPERA

but when I "ls -l /usr/portage/distfiles/*opera*', I only get opera-7.23-20031119.1-static-qt.i386-en.tar.bz2,
which is only about 4.8MB large.

home / # qpkg -I opera
net-www/opera * home / # emerge -pv opera

   Calculating dependencies ...done!
   [ebuild   R   ] net-www/opera-7.23  -gnome -kde  9,458 kB

Total size of downloads: 9,458 kB

unless you give the -u or -Uu options, portage will want to reemerge already installed packages, which
is indicated by the 'R' marker. (An 'I' would stand for installing a new package, a 'U' for updating a
package).

E.g. "emerge -Uup opera" should output:

Calculating dependencies ...done!