"emerge sources -s" will list all available sources.  It should live
alongside 2.4 fine (did in the past), but on complex kitchen sink
machines like mine, I will have to see.

I am about to try 2.6 mm and see how it goes.  I did try an earlier 2.6
vanilla some months back and as others have found, it benchmarked slower
(on things I do every day), wasnt too good on the desktop and had many
incompatibilities but as a fair bit of time has passed I am compiling it
again and will try it soon.

BillK