Last night I decided to use my other desktop machine and see if I could
successfully setup a 2.6 NPTL box running X and Gnome (I've setup a few
NPTL server machines with no problems), before I messed up my main
machine attempting to do it.

I've had a few compile problems so far, but those have been resolved by
emerging newer masked packages.

I was able to get X up and running and everything, however I get
problems when emerging pygtk (and there is no newer ebuild to try...).
I guess gnome-terminal needs vte which in turn needs pygtk.  Is there
any way around this?  I'd hate to give up just because pygtk won't
compile.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Aaron