On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:33:02 +0100
Jonas Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I am going to install a fresh gentoo on my laptop in a week or so. I
> plan using kernel 2.6. I know gentoo is using devfs as default, but I
> can see that it is OBSOLOTE in 2.6 kernels. I can see devfs have been
> replaced by udev, which is a masked package in gentoo. How do I avoid
> gentoo installing the devfs stuff and using udev instead? Is there a
> way at all?

Others may speak up, but from my readings, your don't want to touch udev
with a fork - it's not ready to come out of the oven.  devfs may be
deprecated, but it still works just fine.  Of course, if you want to be
on the cutting edge, jump right in.  You have been warned.  Gentoo will
no doubt offer udev when it's ready for public consumption.

> I can see there is a bootstrap-2.6.sh script. Is it a good idea to use
>
> this instead of the normal bootstrap.sh script?

No experience with this.

--
Collins - Denver Area -
Gentoo stable kernel 2.6.3-rc2