Grendel wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Brendan Sullivan uttered the following immortal words,

Somehow I prefer the virgin nvidia.com 5336 package over the builds, I
just download it and run the .run file and it installs beautifully.

This I would never recommend to anybody, since "smart" guys from nvidia are probably testing their driver only on RH (or another commercial linux), but never heard about gentoo.

What's worse the driver is written in windblowz way ...
no output about what it is doing, no warnings if something
will be overwriten etc., simply junk.

ebuild is tested and patched by gentoo devs, so the risk
of troubles is reduced to minimum.

noro