On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, William Kenworthy wrote:

> I would make the point that on a number of occasions, bugs have caused
> configuration files to be lost.  Its happened to fstab,
> modules.autoload, PHP/MOD_PHP etc in the past.
>
> As gentoo is very dynamic distro, I think a copy of /etc and any other
> critical files would be an essential, and advise any gentoo user to have
> an up to date copy squirrelled away somewhere.

I think part of the problem is that etc-update offers far to many files
for the user to choose. Ever tried updating logwatch?

Is it possible that etc-update could detect those files that have not been
edited by the user and list them separately? Usually, one can accept
changes to any file that has not been altered since it was created by the
last emerge.

Simon