Collins Richey wrote:
3) In the article published at www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php,
the author claims that external action must be taken to make udev work
with nvidia's drivers.  That is not the case for me.  I have
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx active, and I did not need to tweak udev
at all.

Interesting.
Are you autoloading the 'nvidia' module on bootup or anything? Or is it still unloaded at the point where you run 'startx' or equivalent?

As I explained on the page, X tries to load the module if it isn't already loaded. I guess X loads modules slightly differently, as (for me, and another test subject) it just refuses to start without the /dev/nvidia* nodes already in place (or the module completely loaded).

Daniel