On Wednesday 25 February 2004 12:19 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2004 14:53, Chris wrote:

> > > good guide but even more in depth. :)
> >
> > maybe i should put it like this.
> >
> > I have just finished setting up a fourth gentoo box for realatives 15 and
> > under with very little pc skill. they chose gentoo after using this
> > machine. I printed out most of the realative documentation i could but a
> > good part of it just isnt basic enough for them to understand.
>
> When it comes to security, I don't think you can get much simpler than the
> guide above. It has very little "make a choice" and just says "foo needs to
> be secure because such and such" and then "do bar to circumvent it".
> Really, to properly secure a box you don't just need knowledge of security
> practices but also knowledge of the internal workings of what you are
> trying to secure. Are you sure a simpler guide for a Linux newbie with
> little general PC experience is even possible?

I am hoping so for their sake and mine, I made the installation instructions
simpler for them. But I have no idea how to make the security instructions
simpler. I'm sure the 7 kids/4 house holds I have to deal with arent the only
ones 15 down in age. Besides having to drive 30 miles one way after work just
to help them understand what they are reading.... I'm sure you get the point.

This is why I brought it up Jason, you guys have worked some great magic with
gentoo and its docs.