ALL the distro's are having this same problem though. The current version of X works and is still available under the license it was released under. There's nothing stopping anyone from continuing to work with it for the time being, it just means new versions aren't necessarily going to find their way in to gentoo or several other distros for that matter. I don't think this is a case of saying "oh well, no more GUI" but we may be staring at the same version of X for a while.

Bryn