First of all, let me congratulate the developers of what seems to be the most exciting linux distribution nowdays.

I'm a Linux user from long time ago, when I started with Yggdrasil and Slackware, and kernel hadn't even reached version 1. Then I moved to RedHat and have stayed there till these days. RedHat has shifted its focus now and though Fedora is there, It looks to me that maybe it's time to move to other distribution. I have installed and used for some time Mandrake and Debian. What I dislike from Mandrake is the same thing I dislike from RH (bad dependency tracking mainly but I won't discuse because it is not my intention to bash any distro here). Debian has a great packager but iit is and overly cryptic distribution for me yet, with a very difficult installer. It is never up to date also.

So, is it Gentoo a good distribution for me?

I am a knowledgeable linux user, that's ok, but the problem is that I don't have too much spare time to fiddle with a distribution that's too harsh on the user. I have a personal web server I need to be up, running and secure. I'm not too much of a graphical user since I'm stuck with you-know-what for several reasons, though, I need an X desktop around to use several applications I like/need (guarddog, for instance). On the other hand, Gentoo's configurability, abundance of packages and the possibility of staying very up to date seems very attractive to me. Maybe Gentoo is a nice distro to try kernel 2.6 ;)

Then... finally, what do you think? Should I change to Gentoo or follow my path to Fedora?

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
Alejandro Escalante Medina