On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:33:11 +0000
Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Uhm... No. ext3 does full journaling, reiserfs does not.

Starting with kernel 2.6.9, ReiserFS also supports data=ordered and
data=journal (courtesy of Suse ;-).

> Then there's
> also the pesky little issue of reiser recovery tools being far less
> reliable than the ext3 ones.

In my experience the need for recovery tools is much smaller with
ReiserFS. Internal journal replay seems to be very reliable compared to
ext3. This might depend on specific hardware, though.

Regards

BTW: On broken hardware (power regulation), three reiserfs filesystems -
two of them heavily used - survived ~100 hard crashes without any
unexpected loss of data or any inconsistencies. In every case journal
replay worked flawlessly, reiserfschk was never needed.
My experiences with ext3 - and especially XFS - are much worse. (To be
honest, XFS suffered from an actual bug, not a design issue. Some pages
*never* got flushed to disk before umount. This has been fixed a while ago.)