Peter Ruskin wrote:
On Friday 07 January 2005 00:44, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
I have a Video CD which I'd like to be able to play on my Gentoo
box.

xine can do that.

MPlayer can do it too-- just right-click on the Video window, and choose VCD=>Open Disc (I know it's a VCD due to the file structure, but this would also work for an SVCD. Don't know about K(S)VCD, though). Alternatively, you could also just play the avwhatever.dat file directly.

The only reasons that it (or pretty much any other video) would not play are:

1) missing codecs (get them from mplayerhq.hu, to use on all players)
2) Incorrect settings in mplayer (i.e., the settings in Preferences=>Misc=>DVD/CDROM device are not correct, so the disc itself cannot be found).
3) Mplayer is broken or was not compiled with the USE flags that would allow it to play these files (which last seems fairly unlikely, but I guess it's possible, especially if using an old version, which could definitely have been broken under the right circumstances).

Hope this helps.

Holly