Dude, I thought I'd run it in the debugger to see if I could determine where
the breakage was occurring...  First I emerged it and validated that I too
was getting the segmentation fault.

So I cd to /usr/portage/app-misc/colortail and issue "ebuild
colortail-0.3.0-r3.ebuild unpack" to extract the contents to
/var/portage/colortail-0.3.0-r3/work/colortail-0.3.0.

Go to that directory and issue 'CFLAGS="-g" ./configure' followed by
'CFLAGS="-g" make'.

Follow so far?  Start up the colortail in gdb "gdb colortail", set the args
as you have done in the script and then type 'run' - no break.

Hmm, I thinks, so I decide to run it outside of the debugger...

Run this version directly and, to my surprise, no crash.

So it works for your simple test case; I'm assuming you have a more complex
file that the crash occurred in and slimmed it down to this repeatable case.
We'd have to try it on that case to see if it makes a difference.

So for some reason compiling colortail with the -g flag will make it work
through your example.  You should be able to do the same thing to get it
working in your environment.