Nick Smith wrote:

i was pondering some different ideas about my laptop, i really
would like to get rid of windows, or at least setup vmware with
windows if i need it, and get rid of the dual boot thing, but i
have alot of stuff i cannot loose/reinstall so my question is
this, is it possible to copy over my windows partition into a
vmware session? kinda like coping all the files of one harddrive
to another, at most you might have to do an over lay of the OS
but all the programs would still be installed etc.  anyone had
any experience in this? it was just a thought, i doubt it can be
done, but you never know for sure unless you ask.

thanks for the input

nick

done, few years ago with a win98, yes it's possible, it's the same as choose your hd and put it on another pc (new motherboard, nic, etc...)
With windows this it's *not* an easy task.
You need to configure wmware to access directly say /dev/hdaX supposing that /dev/hdaX is the partition currently used by windows.
Then you can make vmware working on a snapshot, that is leave the original untouched, write the diffs elsewhere. safer & slower.
First time you boot unconfigure all that you can, reboot and leave windows reconfigure all (I'm laughing sorry).

ciao
francesco