I was wondering what really needs to be done to switch to nptl on an existing
2.6 system.

According to this document: http://gentoo-wiki.com/NPTL#Switching_to_NPTL you
don't need to recompile anything other than glibc to gain the full end-user
performance benefits of nptl (though it does suggest doing a --newuse rebuild
of world, the only changed ebuild is glibc itself).

However, according to this document:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/migration-to-2.6.xml#doc_chap10 you must do a
complete rebuild of all packages on the system (using the --emptytree emerge
flag) in order to gain the benefits of nptl.

Even more interesting, someone I was chatting with online suggested that only
a few key programs besides glibc needed to be recompiled, to avoid problems.

I was wondering, which is the accurate method of switching? If there are a few
"problem" packages that should be rebuilt, which ones are they?

Thanks,
Ed

--

"It has been said that man is a rational animal.  All my life I have
been searching for evidence which could support this."

"The American empire is ideological, not territorial. We are the most
ideological people in the world, and we are so united in our view that we
don't understand there can be other views."
--Lt. Gen. William Odom, ret. (Former Director of NSA).

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love."
--Charlie Brown

"Let us endeavour to live our lives so that when we die even the undertaker
will be sorry."
--Mark Twain