>Hello,

> One major number per controller, each controller
>can have 16 devices, which leaves 16 numbers for partitions, of which
1
>describes the entire disk (ie /dev/sda), leaving 15.

This has to do with the old ISA architecture.  On 8 bit systems (XT) the
SCSI bus has 8 devices, one of which is reserved for the controller.  On
16 bit systems (AT, 386, etc.) there can be 16 devices, again, one is
reserved for the controller.

This has nothing to do with the number of partitions, just devices.  The
max number of partitions is controlled by the device driver and is
limited by the 16 bit device number.  8 are reserved for the device and
the other 8 are to be split up according to the device type.  With SCSI
4 bits are for the drive  and 4 for the partition (with 0000 being
reserved for the drive itself so that you can access things like the
MBR).  That leaves a total possible of 16 drives with 15 partitions
each.  I know that udev was supposed to overcome this limitation (as was
the 32 bit device numbers that were suggested) but I don't know for sure
if it does.  I can't see how LVM can get around this by stringing
partitions together if it can't address said partitions.  In other words
I think that you need to expand the number of possible devices before
linking them together with LVM.

--
Tres Melton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]