Vittorio wrote:

> notebook connected to an external modem. Now it happens that while with
> kernel 2.4 I could see /dev/ttyS0 in /var/log/messages during the boot,
> with the new 2.6 kernel I can't see anything of the kind ..and of course,
> the modem too doesn't work.

Hi, Vittorio!

Your kernel settings look similar to mine... so I doubt that's the problem.
Would you please post the results to the following commands.  These may
help to diagnose your problem.

$ dmesg | grep -i seri
$ ls -ld /dev/ttyS*
$ ls -ld /dev/tts/*

Also:

Is your serial port a standard, built-in port?  Or perhaps are you using one
of those USB-to-RS232 converters?  Or even a PCMCIA modem?

Peace,
Gabriel

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d