> To believe that the box you hold with square holes is sufficient to
> satisfy all other people's shapes spherical and elliptical is just not
> what Gentoo is about.

Nor do I believe that no one should use alsa drivers outside of the kernel;
obviously there is full support for using a bleeding edge driver when it is
needed.  I happen to be running nitro patches on my 2.6.10 kernel so I'm
already using the bleeding edge alsa driver, and I know many other folks may
want and/or need a different alsa driver; that wasn't the point I was trying
to make.

Neither party said that they were trying to emerge gnome so they could use a
bleeding edge sound application, they just indicated that gnome was failing,
the failure was due to a lack of alsa-driver, and they could not figure out
how to resolve the problem.

Even if they were going to be using a cutting edge sound app, I'd still
suggest to them that they use the built in alsa driver to get their core
components installed (i.e. gnome), then upgrade to a new alsa driver when
they're ready to install that new wizbang sound app.

Dave