On Wed, January 12, 2005 11:40, Lode Vanstechelman said:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there has already been a thread about this, but I would
> like to build a very small (in disk-space terms) Gentoo Linux
> distribution, to be used on 400 to 600 MB hard-disks.
>
> I would build the whole Gentoo system on another computer and leave it
> there and then later on copy a 'subset' of that system to the small
> computer. I would create the subset by copying the whole Gentoo system
> and then deleting portage and distfiles and kernel sources etc.
>
> Said in another way: In a first stage I would build a whole new Gentoo
> system on some big partition. In the second stage I would copy that
> whole Gentoo system to another big partition. In that second Gentoo
> system I would delete lots of stuff that I wouldn't need on the small
> disks like gcc and stuff. Then in the final stage I would copy the
> small linux to the small harddisk.
>
> I would keep the original version of the chroot Gentoo in case I need
> to recompile something. Diskspace is not a problem on the big
> partition.
>
> Now is my question: What would you guys advise me to delete to make
> the system smaller? The system on the small disk would only have to
> run iptables.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lode

I would do a stage1-install and set size-optimizations (see the GNU
GCC-link in the Gentoo Handbook). Before doing 'emerge system', i would do
emerge -Dpv system and with the help of that output remove some USE-flags
and set them static in /etc/make.conf ( USE="-X -alsa -gtk etc etc" ).
After 'emerge system' just do 'emerge -Dv iptables'. Then remove files in
/usr/src/linux* , (*)/usr/portage/distfiles , (*)/usr/portage/packages/All
and (*)/var/tmp/portage/*

(*)=may vary depending on your settings in /etc/make.conf

/©harlie