reg hughson wrote:
thought it had something to do with my LDFLAGS but they seem fine and
are set as LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" in /etc/make.conf.

I've had major issues with LDFLAGS, which should be just LDFLAGS="-O1" BTW, CFLAGS could be "-Wl,O1", but LDFLAGS just needs the option, not the -Wl, stuff which is just for gcc not for the linker "ld".

Anyways, my problems manifested themselves as segfaults while in the linking phase, and some programs complaining about undefined symbols. Removing the offending lines fixed the system. I may still use the LDFLAGS, but I will use it on a package by package basis.