From: Charlie Gehlin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 2:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] kernel update

On Thu, January 13, 2005 7:59, Me said:
> Charlie~
> Thanks very much for the sanity check.
>
> I looked at using make oldconfig, since I've made a few changes to the
> existing kernel, and didn't want to have to 'rememeber' to make all of
> those
> changes again.

If you'd like, you can run 'make menuconfig' after oldconfig to see if
there's any new bleeding egde-super options that you might be interested
to activate.

> I didn't know that the emerge was only for 2.4 kernels.  But, under 2.6,
> for
> some reason, I couldn't seem to get sound working at the commandline, and
> by
> removing the sound from the kernel and going through the steps in the alsa
> gentoo guide, I was able to get it running (and through some additional
> googling, set the asound.state file to keep it running on reboot).

I've never had any problem with native 2.6-ALSA, but I've emerged theese
packages (not needed to re-emerege after kernel-updates):

alsa-lib
alsa-utils
alsa-tools

> Yeah, I knew the arch/i386... path, I just didn't want to type it all out
> ;)

heh :p