> In general if I go to the cvs form of a software
> package, that is installed on my gentoo system but missing the latest
> version or key patches, are there any caveats (gotchas)?

The packages in gentoo simplify the build process, but that's all.  You are
free to download, build, and install any software that you want (whether
from gentoo or other sources).

As far as gotchas, when you install a source version it will overwrite files
gentoo has put in place.  The next time a new version is released in gentoo
and you emerge the world, your custom version will be blown to bits.

Of course you can get around this by installing your custom build in a
special location (look at the --prefix= option of the configure build
script) so you can keep this from happening.

As far as which CVS tool to use, the command line is by far the best because
it offers the most flexibility.

For gui-based tools, most IDEs have a cvs pluggin that will allow you to
access the code.

> dev-util/cvs
This is the command line tool.

> app-vim/cvsmenu
Since it is under vim, I guess this is used through vim/gvim.

> www-apps/viewcvs
This would provide cvs access through your web server, probably not what you
want.

> dev-util/lincvs
> dev-util/gcvs
> dev-util/cvsweb