Jeff Cranmer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 01:20 -0500, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > Jeff Cranmer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
>
> > If you're running kernel 2.6.x, make sure you _don't_ have the module
> > printer.ko.  scanner support (as well as printer support) have been
> > moved into user-space with libusb.  Make sure it is emerged, if not,
> > remerge hpoj with USE=usb.
> >
> > so you should have merged libusb, hpoj, cups, and xsane.  Now, run
> > 'ptal-init setup'.  When this is done, running 'xsane' should startup
> > and recognize the device.  If not, don't sweat it, It's been a year or
> > so since I set mine up, so my memory is a little fuzzy.  Take a look at
> > the cups documentation, or linuxprinting.org .
> >
> > Also note after setup to start the services /etc/init.d/{hpoj,cups} in
> > that order.
> >
> > You'll most likely have to redefine your printer in cups.  Here's the
> > relevant portion of my /etc/cups/printers.conf
> >
> > <DefaultPrinter HP_PSC_750>
> > Info HP Color PSC
> > Location office
> > DeviceURI ptal:/mlc:usb:PSC_750
> > State Idle
> > Accepting Yes
> > JobSheets none none
> > QuotaPeriod 0
> > PageLimit 0
> > KLimit 0
> > </Printer>
> >

> > Your device uri may be different depending on how you answered
> > ptal-init...
> >
> > hth,
> >
> > Cooper.
>
> I'm running the 2.4.27 kernel.   Module printer.o is installed
> automatically on startup with modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4
>
> Should I remove this module from autoload?

You have two choices.  You can load scanner.o (only present in 2.4.x
kernels), and unmerge libusb.  Or, you can remove printer.o and config
things to use libusb.

I would recommend libusb as you will eventually have to make the change
when you step up to a 2.6.x kernel.

> I have hpoj, libusb, cups and xsane installed.
>
> /etc/cups/printers.conf is totally empty (however the printer works).
> Do I need to add the info above to this file, or is the necessary
> configuration file elsewhere?

That is purely for printing w/ cups.

> As the printer is working as a printer, I am assuming that hpoj is
> correctly emerged.  I don't have usb as a use flag in make.conf, but it
> is probably part of the package.  If the other steps above don't work, I
> can try remerging hpoj with the usb USE flag manually set.

Your quick fix is going to be enabling usb scanner support in the
2.4.x kernel and modprobing it, but like I said above, you're going to
have to go through configuring things for libusb at some point, may as
well do it now.

Whichever route you take, just let me know if you need a specific file,
and I'll show you what I have.

Cooper.