Stephen More wrote:

> I have been trying to get the following to work:
> emerge --fetchonly system
>
> It complains about:
>
> Couldn't download db-4.1.25.tar.gz. Aborting.
> Couldn't download shadow-4.0.5.tar.bz2. Aborting.
>
> I have been trying for the past few days, but it is not getting any
> farther.

Looks like no network or bad mirror selection.  (For some reason,
mirrorselect on the livecd picks pretty bad mirrors.)

If you confirm that your network connection is OK (e.g. ping your router or
www.google.com), and if you are in the US, edit /etc/make.conf
(or /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf) to have this:

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirrors.tds.net/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org/
http://gentoo.ccccom.com ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo
http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo ftp://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/gentoo/";

(All on one line)

Otherwise, please be more verbose about the error messages you get.  I hope
this helps!

Peace,
Gabriel

--
                     G a b r i e l   M .   B e d d i n g f i e l d