On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 15:21 +0000, Peng wrote:
> That command mentioned conf.d/domainname, dnsdomainname, and hosts. I
> think it's the first one that's causing the problem... Should I delete it?
>
> Also, I rebooted just now, and it mentioned /sbin/rc trying to execute it.

the files /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname are simple files with
nothing but the single word of the host or domain name. they are being
phased out of usage.

/etc/hosts will list a few ip addresses followed by names

the fines in /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname are
effectively shell scripts that are executed. their contents should be
more along these lines:

HOSTNAME="Mymachine"
DNSDOMAIN="example.com"

if you had put the old-style one-word format in there, then yes it would
try to run it and yeah, it probably won't be found as an executable or
set the host/domain name as you would expect...

I'd suggest re-emerging baselayout, letting etc-update replace those two
files in /etc/conf.d and putting the appropriate info *within the
quotes* in the sample files provided.

--
Scott Taylor - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<ciaranm> lisa++