Dave Nebinger wrote:

And I'd be willing to bet you may encounter other similar issues as I really
don't think the current kernel with it's modern features and expectations of
a later Pentium (i.e. PIII+) would be too happy with

The kernel doesn't have any such "expectations". It's designed to work with a wide range of CPUs - including ones that aren't even Intel-compatible.

Now to Ian:

It seems to start up
fine. Then, it pauses as soon as it gives me the output for
detecting my processor (PentiumMMX 133mHz). It just plain stops.

It sounds to me very much as if you have APIC support turned on in the kernel. If so, turn it off and try again.

Be lucky,

Neil