G'day there Peter,

$ qpkg -f /usr/portage/eclass/multilib.eclass
   (nothing, so it's probably supplied by portage)

Hmm... qpkg... sigh... I've read through the man page for emerge, but didn't think of that. I can see that I'll have to go over it again.

$ emerge portage -p
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/portage-2.0.51-r3

You were quite correct. I had emerged sync about 20 mins earlier and so emerged portage. Quanta then emerged overnight and all went well.

Thanks very much for your advice, it's greatly appreciated. Not only that, but I've learned a new technique for troubleshooting - qpkg.

See ya later,
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia