Frank Schafer wrote:
Thanks,

I'll do this tonight. I wonder if this will be an action over weekend,
so I did just now:

emerge -upv --newuse world

<snip of potential emerge list>

O.K, that's not so much. What confuses me is the fact, that cdrecord
won't be re-emerged.

As far as I know, that's because "plain vanilla" cdrecord does not handle DVDs under any circumstances. The tools you use for DVDs are

1) patched cdrecord (emerge cdrecord-ProDVD)

2) dvd+rw-tools

I *think* that this is an either/or situation rather than a both/and; if you install dvd+rw-tools, you don't actually need cdrecord-ProDVD as well (because growisofs, included in dvd+rw-tools, takes care of burning DVDs). But Linux is about choice, and so you can use the patched cdrecord instead (which replaces cdrecord).

I am not completely sure about this; it is based on my experience of having actually removed cdrecord-ProDVD and having nothing break in my burning experience (due to still having dvd+rw-tools installed, which is what most frontends that can burn DVDs use to burn DVDs, in my experience).

HTH,
Holly