    Was Mon, 17 Jan 2005, at 22:30:36 -0500,
    when James Hiscock wrote:

>> I did it all the steps needed: patched kernel (2.6.5), selected new
>> options for UDF, compiled it, have done all the rest, but when I
>> tried to mount one CR-RW of mine I got this:

> Compiled as a module, or built-in?

As a built-in. (Since I use CDRWs almost all the time while I work, I
reckoned it's easier and faster if Mr. Kernel is not looking for the
module[s] all the time, to load them. Which a bit puzzles me anyway:
If I have NO module used [nothing is compiled as a module with my
kernel] why the heck all the time at boot sequence I read about 10
seconds this "Calculating module dependencies"?)

> Did you actually run /etc/init.d/cdrw?

Yep.

> It does all the funny pktsetup(8) stuff for you, based on the
> contents of /etc/conf.d/cdrw...

OK, I understand. Thanks.

> and it also looks like there's a bit of a syntax
> error in /etc/init.d/cdrw as posted in the wiki in here:

> <snip>
> if [ ${kernel_major} -ge 6 ] && [ ${kernel_minor} -ge 8 ]
>    then /usr/bin/pktsetup ${minor} ${i} >/dev/null 2>&1
>    else /usr/bin/pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd/${minor} ${i} >/dev/null 2>&1
> fi
> </snip>

> The second & third lines should be:

>   then /usr/bin/pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd/${minor} ${i} >/dev/null
>   else /usr/bin/pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd${minor} ${i} >/dev/null

Thanks for this notice, but...when it was not working, it was not
working with both variants, and when it works it works again with the
both variants. (-:

- From this you see that I still somehow managed to make it work, which
is very good thing, (: although I am not sure that I *understand* why
is working this way. Namely...

> ... so that it works properly with the way you've configured the
> /dev/pktcdvd<x> node, and so that it doesn't send errors to lala land
> (so that maybe you can debug the problem a bit better... add in "2>&1"
> at the end of each of those lines once you're fairly confident you
> have it working, if you want...)

...your hint about pktsetup(8) moved me to put a glance at this man
page, and there I found this:

"
EXAMPLE
       The following commands provide an example of using the packet device.

              cdrwtool -d /dev/sr0 -q
              pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/sr0

              mount -t udf /dev/pktcdvd0 /mnt
              umount /dev/pktcdvd0
              pktsetup -d /dev/pktcdvd0
"

So...I saw that the (first) `pktsetup' command was *not* mentioned in
the HOWTO document on the wiki page, and I tried it, typing this way:

              pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

Then mounted a CD-RW of mine:

              mount -t udf /dev/pktcdvd0 /mnt/cdrw

And, it simply worked! (-: The device for packet-writing (pktcdvd0)
was connected/linked to cdrom device (since there is no any *cdrw*
device), and they could work at the mount point /mnt/cdrw. That's how
I understand this. If I understand. Hence, the settings in
/etc/conf.d/cdrw which stated:

              cdrw_list="/dev/pktcdvd0"

where wrong, and after I changed it in:

              cdrw_list="/dev/cdroms/cdrom0"

the machine is pointed properly, going to cdroms, not to pktcdvd0,
which was the reason it's been spitting out the error message that
"pktcdvd0 is not a valid block device", earlier. (At least *I* think
it was the reason.)

After that it could [u]mount any CDRW simply by usual commands
(following fstab settings): "[u]mount /mnt/cdrw". There, it really
ended finely.

It *could not* read though any files on CDRWs formated in Windows (by
InCD), but they were mounted and open for writing anyway. (That's
strange but OK, I don't mind; those CDRWs are important to me only in
relation to Windows.) Then I formatted a new CDRW here in Linux, and
it works like baby/dove/charm/Tasmanian Devil. (: I have made my first
backup and the goal is fulfilled. "Mission accomplished".

I thank you, and all of you who participated in solving this `case',
very much for the help, hints and opinions, since I have done a pretty
important thing needed for my daily work, much faster than I would be
able to do if I would have to pick around myself alone, without
knowing more precisely *where* to pick.

Perhaps, the wiki page should include this "pktsetup" command too in
its HOWTO, since the lack of *it* actually was the reason I got this
previous error message. As I understand all this process.

Oh...I just feel fine now. <hg>

- --
Mica