On Wednesday 19 January 2005 07:30 am, "John Dangler"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I looked around for this, and, in my search,
> found the following command, the context of which said that it could be
> run from cron. I'm just wondering if it's safe to 'clear out' /var/tmp
> files (and hoping this will allow me to finish compiling openoffice).
>
> find /tmp /var/tmp -not -type d -mtime +3 -print0 |
>   xargs --null --no-run-if-empty rm -f
>
> All input is welcome.

Unless you use /var/tmp or /tmp for some sort of long time storage, this
should be fine.  It simply deletes all files in those directories that
haven't been modified in 3 days or more.

Personally, I just do:
rm -rfv * .[^.]*
in /var/tmp if I run out of compiling room.  Never caused a problem for me,
yet.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]