Alexander Kirillov wrote:
Sometimes I get warnings on system startup
when caching service dependencies. Something like
ln: creating symlink `/var/lib/init.d/started/checkroot` to `/etc/init.d/checkroot`: File exists or Read-only filesystem
or similar warnings for other services.
What's the problem here? It seems to be totally harmless
but quite irritating nonetheless.

Check the contents of your /etc/fstab, especially the 4th field which determines how your partitions are mounted (read-only, etc etc)

I only have one partition for root and I'm sure it's rw. The above warnings probably indicate that root hasn't been remounted rw yet during system startup but why? Does it have something to do with udev?

But you're ignoring one half of the possible causes:

File exists *or* Read-only filesystem

Maybe the probem is that the file (symlink) (pre-)exists, when it should/need not (since it is apparently created during the boot process)?

Holly