Qian Qiao wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:36:26 +0100, Øyvind Lode <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to install Gentoo 2004.3.
I have booted from a minimal LiveCD and done a network install.
I downloaded and extracted the stage3 Tarball for x86.
Everything have worked fine until the kernel compile proceedure.

I chose to use Genkernel since I have never compiled a kernel before.
The compilation of the bzimage goes well but the compile of the modules
fails...

I have pasted a part of the log into this mail.
But Genkernel tells me to consult the /var/log/genkernel.log for more info.
I looked at the file and it is a quite large log (885kb).
I cannot make anything out of it's contents but some of the output is
pasted below.

* -- Start log... --

-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586  -DMODULE  -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sr_vendor  -c -o sr_vendor.o
sr_vendor.c
ld -r -o scsi_mod.o scsi.o hosts.o scsi_ioctl.o constants.o scsicam.o
scsi_proc.o scsi_error.o scsi_obsolete.o scsi_queue.o scsi_lib.o
scsi_merge.o scsi_dma.o scsi_scan.o scsi_syms.o
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586  -DMODULE  -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=sym53c8xx  -c -o sym53c8xx.o
sym53c8xx.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586  -DMODULE  -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=ncr53c8xx  -c -o ncr53c8xx.o
ncr53c8xx.c
sym53c8xx.c: In function `sym53c8xx_pci_init':
sym53c8xx.c:13185: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
--
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586  -DMODULE  -nostdinc
-iwithprefix include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=cpqfcTSinit  -c -o cpqfcTSinit.o
cpqfcTSinit.c
ld -r -o sr_mod.o sr.o sr_ioctl.o sr_vendor.o
ld -r -o cpqfc.o cpqfcTSinit.o cpqfcTScontrol.o cpqfcTSi2c.o
cpqfcTSworker.o cpqfcTStrigger.o
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers/scsi'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 3.1.0c

* ERROR: Failed to compile the "modules" target...

* -- End log... --

-Øyvind

Try manually compile your kernel instead of using genkernel. I know this doesn't solve the genkernel problem, but this may be a way to get your system up and running.

HTH

Another note on manual compiles (I don't use genkernel, but this may well relate)-- if you try to compile a module for hardware you don't actually have, sometimes this kind of failure happens (to me, at least).

Most hardware you can just compile the module for whether you have it or not, but some seems to actually need lscpi or some hardware scan function to have found the hardware and communicated with it in some way before the module will compile (or something; that's just my best guess as to why this occurs).

So if you don't have a "sym53c8xx_pci" or a "ncr53c8xx", whatever they may be, you don't actually need to be compiling these modules in the first place, and I find that removing the module that is failing (which is no skin off my nose because I don't have the hardware anyway, but sometimes I attempt to compile ahead of time for hardware I'm considering buying in the near future) allows the compile to complete. But of course once you do that, you're into manual configuration anyway, even if you use genkernel --menuconfig.

HTH,
Holly