On Thu, January 20, 2005 11:51 am, Michael Sullivan said:
> I've been following this thread, but I'm still a little confused; You
> have a domain name (I think); you have a Linux system.  Why do you use
> comcasts' SMTP server?  My domain is espersunited.com.  I use Cox
> Business Services as my ISP so that I can get a static IP address.  I
> send all mail out through smtp.espersunited.com.  That's located in the
> PC sitting on the floor next to me.  Why can't you do that?  To me it
> seems like the obvious choice, but I know the obvious choice is often
> the most difficult to see.  Am I understanding the situation correctly?

Some don't have the luxury of a business-class connection, and thus don't
have a static IP. If this is the case for our distressed friend, chances
are the proliferation of winblows virii that turn sheeple's computers into
little spam servers or open relays has forced the ISP to block outgoing
port 25 traffic.

During my time living on-campus during my undergrad years, I had the
luxury of a dhcp-assigned static IP address. I was able to accept incoming
mail routed to my Linux box, but was unable to send mail out because the
university had this same policy. Too many liberal arts students with
insecure infected windows boxes, so IPs inside the university's range
started appearing on RBLs.

Dave