Hi,

If you're running Mac OS X Server on your G4 servers, you'd probably be best to use LDAP for authentication, if I'm not mistaken. I've set up LDAP authentication on Linux many a time, so if you need help feel free to contact me (or this list, of course!).

Chris

Phill wrote:

Kevin Philp wrote:

I guess the ultimate would be setting up your computers as 30 terminal servers without hardrives (www.ltsp.org).

I doubt we'd have the resources to be able to pull a thin-client model off :P, but it's a valid suggestion.

What I do on my network is have each machine setup with enough stuff to get it running and talking to the network and then bring in the /opt, /usr/local and /home stuff via NFS. You don't need /usr/portage for booting so why not import that as well? Its a lot easier than dowloading via ftp.

How do you adjust for patching? I.e., openoffice-1.1.3 vs 1.1.4 would probably change all of the symlinks in, say, the links on user's desktops to the programs - or any other folder accessed by libraries and the ilk. How do you go about updating, say, X (i.e. changes in /etc/ and so on)?

However, we don't have enough x86 hardware to justify a central server like that - although I can see it pretty much eliminating a lot of complications. Cool stuff you've got there.

Secondly use NIS for central administration of users and groups.

Both of these can be administered quite nicely using webmin.

A quick google brought me up what I think you were talking about.
And it seems to be the fixin' of our integration woes - we run about 80 or so iMacs running OS 9.2 controlled centraly via an OS 10.3 dual G4 server. In a perfect world, you'd have people login directly to that machine but in the lack of that ability (apparently one can only share a directly either over NFS (as far as we can tell incompatible with our current system for the iMacs) or AppleTalk, meaning we need to do a little man page looking before being able to pull it off), sharing the same user accounts and passwords sounds just about right.