On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 17:25 +0000, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just been given a gentoo system, that was installed about 8 months
> ago(stage 1). When I try to boot the machine I get as far a Grub 1.5 and this
> error message:
>
> "GRUB Loading styage 1.5.
> GRUB loading, please wait
> Error 17"
>
> What alternatives (like a boot floppy) do I have to
> get this system up, so I can copy off critical files?
>
> This system did work, as I set it up initially for a friend,
> but now it's hosed.....

as you will know from info grub, this error message reads:

"17 : Cannot mount selected partition
     This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the
     filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB."

which suggests that the filesystem that has the grub stage* files is
borked.

now whats wrong with booting off your install cd?