Pupeno wrote:

I'm currently defining the language to use in my gentoo installation by adding
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANG LC_ALL
to /etc/profile, which afaik, it's bash only, is there a better place to specify it ? a better way to do it ?

If you want anything but US English then you should also put it in make.conf - put the line
LINGUAS="fb"
(where fb is the language you want, in your case "en") in somewhere. You shouldn't need to though, as this is, bien evidemment, the default.
Cheers
Antoine
ps. this will compile with the language specified if it exists. I don't think there would be many packages that didn't have English though!