Qian Qiao wrote:
Hi,

I am having a server box that we intend to run some java application
on it. I noticed that both Sun and IBM JDK(s) will require X. It would
be pretty pointless to install X on a server box.

Is there a way to install these JDKs without X?

As Matan Peled already mentioned, you do not need X to install the JDK. However, Java programs that use the AWT may need a connection to an X server - this includes several programs that create images since they use AWT facilities.

You *may* be able to use the "headless" AWT functions (see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/awt/AWTChanges.html#headless for details) but otherwise you'll need an X server. If you want a headless server box, Xvfb (X virtual frame buffer) may be a good option to use for this.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,