On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:34:16 -0600, Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nick Smith wrote:
> > i was reading up on the wiki and came across the 'Ultimate Gentoo Box' i
> > want to give it a shot i just had a couple questions.
> >
> > 1. i think i want to give ~x86 a try, i find myself adding more and more
> > keywords to my package.keywords file anyway.  how to i go about getting
> > everything ~x86? and if so, is it "known" to break things all the time?
> > or are people running pure ~x86 with no problems? also how to i tell the
> > system to replace all the packages with ~x86 ones? and finally what
> > happens to the things that are in my package.keywords file now?
>
> a) ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in /etc/make.conf
> b) I've been running ~x86 for 2 years with minimal breakage
> c) There will never be *no* problems
> d) emerge -uD world
> e) if you do a), the entries in package.keywords will just be redundant

Ditto. I've been running ~x86 for a long time with fewer problems than
with x86. Most of the problems have been with packages that failed to
compile when first marked ~x86, but soon were fixed. My system might
be considered bleeding edge, but there's no blood in sight.

I don't believe you need to recompile anything (see also below); just
let 'emerge -u world' upgrade what is needed.

The one thing you should not do (IMO) is to run ~x86 for a while and
then revert to x86 without recompiling everything. This has been
reported to create problems.

> > 2. the CFLAGS on their looked really interesting and i think i want to
> > recompile my entire system with those flags, how do i go about doing
> > that? will an 'emerge -euD world' work? or is there something else i
> > have to do to get it to recompile everything?
>
> 'emerge -e world' should do the trick.
>
> > 3. could someone please explain to me in plain english ( i have read
> > about them online ) what the main difference is between -O3 and -O2? i
> > know -O3 is more optimized, but which is better to make the system
> > perform better? the wiki site im refering to states he uses -O2, i am
> > currently using -O3 when i did my stage one install.  what is going to
> > make my system perform better?
>
> -O3 is more optimized than -O2, but those optimizations usually make the
> binaries larger which causes other slowdowns. The ideal system-wide
> optimization
> level is -O2 or -Os (-O2 with additional flags for small binaries).
>
> > im running a p4 2.4Ghz laptop with 1gig ram ati mobility video, and if
> > this works i have several other systems i want to do the same thing
> > with. (except the server)

-O2 and -O3 are quite similar, but -O3 inlines certain functions and
thus the executables are somewhat larger. My personal opinion is
switch to -O2, but I don't believe you need to recompile anything
unless you want to, in which case fire off an 'emerge -e world'.

IMO, avoid -Os. There are some packages (can't remember which) that
don't work well with -Os, and the ebuilds usually filter out -Os in
favor of -O2. -Os executables will be somewhat smaller, but your
system has enough oomph to handle the -O2 optimized executables.
Whatever you do, I doubt that you'll notice much difference between
-O2 and -O3.

--
 Collins