Jerry McBride wrote:
I won't shoot you, but the difference may be that I don't use devfs or udev on any of my gentoo projects.

Gentoo defaults to devfs and provides udev as an option. So for 99.9% of users this is automatically done. I guess there are still some who live with a static /dev though...

That aside, there's virually no documentaion, anywhere, that tells you how to make the needed devices. Quite odd too.

Probably because they expect you to be running a /dev manager, and realistically most people are. If you aren't, then its perfectly expected that you need to make the device nodes for non-standard kernel modules the first time you use them.

Daniel