On 2005-01-22 19:18:45 +0000 (Sat, Jan), Steve wrote:
> I've a small network with a WinXp PC, Gentoo PC and Dlink 504T ADSL
> router/NAT/Firewall/Ethernet Switch box.  The Dlink serves DHCP services
> and DNS to my LAN - these DLink services have been verified as working
> flawlessly from my WinXp PC.  The DLINK has an IP address of 192.168.1.1
> (as is default) and this is my default gateway and DNS server setting
> under XP where everything seems to work fine.
>
> With Gentoo I opted for a stage3 install from the 2004.3 universal live
> CD - and found problems without having installed anything significant
> from portage.  The first problem came when trying to run "emerge --sync"
> - where I couldn't do DNS lookups at all in a chrooted environment...

Have you created /etc/resolv.conf also in chrootet environment? Or only
in live CD environment?

> *   my resolv.conf file has "nameserver 192.168.1.1" - which looks
> correct according to the docs.  I've not installed a Gentoo name server
> (such as bind) - I was under the impression this wasn't strictly necessary.

/etc/resolv.conf in new install?
And you're right. It's not necessary.

> Can anyone tell me if I'm following best Gentoo practice configuring my
> nameserver only in resolve.conf ?

I humbly believe that you do.

> Would installing a caching nameserver be a way to resolve the problem or
> complicate the issue of resolving this bug in my install?

You may try. As far as I know 'djbdns' (which I'm using) contacts root servers
and
descends down from them, so it would bypass your local DNS troubles.
However it may be worth to spend some time trying to understand what is
causing the problems. It may pay back later.