PK wrote:
this is a work around and not the answer but many people arent happy with nautilus

some alternatives are konqueror or gentoo
I myself prefer gentoo ( not the linux distro, the file browser )

I'd vote for Krusader or Gnome Commander, myself. Even before switching to Openbox from GNOME, I used a different file manager than nautilus. It's really kinda useless, imo.

This won't so much help if the problem is I/O related in some way (all file managers are using the same I/O backend), but it is something to both consider, and to triangulate whether the problem is actually system-related, or specific to Nautilus.

HTH,
Holly