Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01:33 pm, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday 25 January 2005 10:15 am, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
Tony, no disrespect intended but this is impossible (afaik). X will
not load without a config file.
This is simply not true.  I was running for almost a week before I had
an Xorg.conf and I've never had XFree on either of my machines.
OK, but if you didn't have XFree (or X.Org, presumably), you weren't
running X...? Or what are you actually saying?

You were running X apps via the framebuffer? You were running X.org
without a config file? You were running CLI only?

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I was running X.org without a config file and had never installed XFree. I only had to create the config file once I wanted to switch over to the nvidia driver.

OK, I get it. This must be one of the improoooovements of X.org 6.8, which I have never used, given that I've only used the ati-drivers up to 3.14.6. I'd guess that XFree86 (and thus X.org up to 6.7.0, since it was still compatible with the XFree tree) really does demand a config file, but it is possible to run X.org 6.8 without one.

Is that a reasonable stab at how we could both be right (assuming that we are in fact both right ;-) )?

Holly