Ryan Sims wrote:
Another question, somewhat related:  I saw a post re using
"LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1" in the make.conf file.  However, the gentoo devs
seem to go a little mad whenever they run into this idea, so I quit
that practice.  I'm a little unclear on a) what exactly that does and
b) why it's harmful.  The man page for ld just says that -O<greater
than zero> "optimizes the output".

while it may work for some packages, when I made it global it started weird segfault problems later on. It got so bad that I couldn't get through one "emerge -Datuv world" without it bombing. Sometimes a re-emerge would work, but I always ran into some packages that just didn't like it.

In the end I removed the LDFLAGS and emerge'd system and world from an empty tree. System is very happy again.