On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:41:13 -0500, Dave Nebinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Who do I have to thank for the recent x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.1.902-r1
> > ebuild
> > > and it's nested spawning of bash processes grinding my systems to a
> > total
> > > halt?
> > >

> > Off hand, given that the ebuild is hard masked -
> >
> > # Don't use this, work in progress
> > KEYWORDS="-*"
>
> This is the first xorg release, in fact first ebuild ever, that was so
> poorly constructed as to start spawning shell processes to the point of
> total system lockup.
>
> I've been running the "-* ~x86" releases of xorg since I did the setup of
> the system and this has never been an issue before.
>
> Yes, I know the doco says that "~x86" could introduce a package that may
> break the system, but to doco never says that "~x86" will lock up your
> system just for trying to emerge it...

Sorry, this is just whining.

Which part of the consequences of running non-stable (and hard masked
to boot) code on your inaccessible production server did you fail to
understand? <sarcasm>You probably like Russian roulette,
too</sarcasm>.

Gentoo developers do a fantastic job, and this includes releasing
experimental ebuilds that are hard masked for the adventuresome to try
and to report the results.

Get a life.

--
 Collins