On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:52:36 +0800, Zhang Weiwu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello. I am using my home gentoo box hosting my webpage and several
> forums. Now the ISP keep dropping my line once a day, so I am thinking
> of using another host.
>
> I need xml, iconv, mbstring, gd2, zlib, "Option mutliview" apache and
> scp/sftp access with public key authentication. I don't need stupid
> things like pop3 account, embeded chatroom and pre-configured forum.
> However, after a hard search I found even many 'professional' hosting
> company either cannot offer all of them, or provided extra service I
> don't need. Many of them don't have iconv (they don't expect Asian
> users). I don't like to choose Chinese hosting companies, most of them
> don't even have a list of supported php modules.
>
> So, where do the people on this list look for a real professional
> hosting support for geeks? Further more, the hosting company should not
> be too slow from China. Any suggestions?
>
> Or if any friendly people on this list maintain an always-on host that
> could be used for web, and feel your box is pretty stable, I can buy
> hosting from you. I think gentoo list people are even more trustworthy
> than some commercial support. If your box is small I consider only put
> my homepage (very low traffic) on it which is the only thing I wish to
> keep stable, forums are not important. I can pay you EUR or USD but only
> by credit card (in some cases, money isn't easy to transfer to
> individual, so I can order beer and let the shop ship it to you:)
> Otherwise, if you have the chance to come to China I'll treat you with
> Chinese goods:)
>
> about beer: With all respects to Women on this list: in that case tell
> me what I can order for you.

I currently have a 1.8 ghz 512 megs ram colocated on a plenty fast
line serving up pages.  It runs gentoo.  Currently it doesn' thave
everything you require, but if we can come to an agreement, I'd be
more than happy to add whatever else you need (you might need to
provide assistance in setting up something like iconv (not sure what
it is, but I'm not an Asian user ;) ).  As I'm not in China myself, I
have no idea how the repsonse time is over there, but you can feel
free to reach out and ping it at omfghax.org.  If you are interested
at all, let me know.

Nick