Context:
Notebook with pentium 4,  the very last build of gentoo compiled from scratch,
kernel 2.6.10, kde 3.3.2. Mousepad and usb-mouse.

To my great surprise when I started xdm with kde-3.3.2 enabled it all worked
smoothly **WITHOUT** any xorg.conf file. Furthermore, again to my surprise,
the automatic X set up choses a video resolution for my notebook that I
wouldn't have imagined before: 1450x1050 (in the control center, display
item)!!!

A marginal problem is left. The wheel in my usb-mouse (and in my ps/2 mouse in
the docking station at office) aren't detected at all. In my previos X and
kde installation I had a somewhat complex xorg.conf file inherited from an
xfree.conf file with - among many other - this two sections that solved this
problem (see the "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" option):
<SNIP>
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
 Driver      "mouse"
 Option      "Protocol" "auto"
 Option     "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
 Option  "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
EndSection
<\SNIP>

Because I don't want to "disturb" the automatic detection and setting of my
graphic hardware accomplished by gentoo, could you suggest the **slimmest and
complete ** xorg.conf file that I could introduce to solve the problem of the
mouse wheel?

Ciao
Vittorio