On Sunday 30 January 2005 17:43, Dave S wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >is xcdroast broken?
> > Because you do not have to fiddle around with 'sudo' just to burn as
> > user. If xcdroast needs root-rights for itself, something is very wrong
> > with it.
> >
> >Be in the 'cdrw' group. Have the cdrecorder device (like hdc, or
> >bus1/target0/cd) in the cdrw group. Have it group right/writeable.
> >
> >Remove the suid root bit from cdrecord
> >Burn.
> >
> >It is really that easy, it only hangs if:
> >cdrecord is suid root.
> >The permissions in /dev are not 'ok'.
> >The permissions for cdrecord are not 'ok'.
> >
> >If xcdroast forces you, to punch holes in your system with sudo, it may be
> >time to look for a better alternative.
> >
> >Glück Auf
> >Volker
> >
> >--
>
> I am starting to suspect broken :-(
>
> bash-2.05b#
> bash-2.05b# ls -al /dev/hdc
> lr-xr-xr-x  1 root cdrw 30 Jan 24 00:01 /dev/hdc ->
> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
> bash-2.05b# ls -al /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
> brwxrwxrwx  1 dave cdrw 22, 0 Jan  1  1970
> /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
> bash-2.05b# which cdrecord
> /usr/bin/cdrecord
> bash-2.05b# ls -al /usr/bin/cdrecord
> -rwx--x--x  1 root root 342628 Oct 17 15:35 /usr/bin/cdrecord

cdrecord should look like this:
-rwxr-x---  1 root cdrw 344K  4. Dez 02:33 /usr/bin/cdrecord

> I also just found this quote on www.xcdroast.org
>
> # *Linux Kernel 2.6.8 broke CD-Writing*:
> I had several reports that the last 2.6.x kernel broke CD-Writing using
> the ATAPI driver. Don't update if you want to continue to use
> X-CD-Roast, or switch back to SCSI-emulation.
> *Update:* When started from a root shell burning still works, but
> non-root mode is disabled by this kernel.
>
> Unfortunatley on my kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4 I cannot find SCSI-emulation
> as an option anymore :-(

Well, they have to fix xcdroast, because linux will stay broken and the
scsi-emulation is a big NONO on 2.6. So, they can wiggle as much as they
want, earlier or later, they have to fix xcdroast, and hopefully, they make
it user-usable while fixing.

I tried xcdroast years ago. It was a pain in the ass to setup and use.
 So I used plain mkisofs and cdrecord, bacause it was easier (!).

Later I found k3b and uses it since then. Because I am a kde user, I am used
to bloat, and do not know any lightwight burn-apps. Sorry. But there are
several in the portage-tree, so.. try some of them. A cdrw will spare you
some money ;)